Saturday, May 6, 2017

Favourite SFF Cover Art

They say you should never judge a book by its cover, but we all know that the first thing that draws you to a book is the cover. Striking cover art can often sway my book buying decisions. If a book has a beautiful cover I'm far more likely to grab a physical copy (even if I already own the ebook copy). I'm a sucker for beautiful cover art.

So here, in no particular order, is a tiny sample of covers I love.

I absolutely adore all the covers Jon Sullivan did for Neal Asher's novels. Quite honestly this entire post could consist only of his cover art...







When Jon Sullivan stopped doing the artwork for Neal Asher's books I thought all was lost, but the cover Adam Burns did for the US edition of Infinity Engine restored my hope. Stunning and dynamic in equal measure. I hope he gets to do more covers for Asher's work.


On the fantasy front I really enjoy the covers for Fran Wilde's Bone Universe series by Tommy Arnold. This is how I imagined the look and feel of the world when I read the book and his covers manages to capture it perfectly.


I have to give huge kudos to South African cover artist Joey Hi-fi. His work is simply incredible (especially coming from a country where Acacia trees on covers are viewed as the height of cover art). His cover for Broken Monsters is superb.




And lastly a very honourable mention must go to the absolutely distinctive artwork of Chris Foss. His art adorns many classic science fiction novels and for some reason I really enjoy his style.


I could go on and on, but to prevent this post from morphing into an infinite gallery of awesome covers I love I'd better stop here.


1 comment:

  1. You can explore lots of article on the thematic of book critique writing via this link

    ReplyDelete